Using ShowUI Without Administrator Credentials

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Hello.

First of all, thank you so much for making ShowUI. I love it! Having only recently taught myself PowerShell, it makes GUI creation so much easier. It's allowed me to make quite a few front-end GUIs like the one in the screenshot below. However, a recent firewall and Active Directory rights change in our organization has forced everyone on our team to do all our remote admin tasks on a 2008R2 terminal server. We can't touch workstations from our own computers anymore.

That would be fine, but we're not administrators on the server, so I can't install ShowUI. I've done some testing on a 2008R2 box, and if an administrator does the first-run setup, standard users can use it on their own profile after that.

I want to ask the server admin to install it, but I know he won't go for it without knowing exactly where files are getting added/modified outside of the user's profile. Do you happen to have a list of files added/modified by the first run of ShowUI? Or is there an easy way to find out?

Thank you!
  • Jared
Mar 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Nevermind. I got this working. :)
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2014 at 2:24 AM
Great! I'm really confused, because I swear I answer this question (somewhere!) ... but for the record, I don't think you need an administrator to install the module, as long as you install it in your profile (e.g. Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\ShowUI)