Better examples and template functions

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM

The examples that are currently floating around for this don't show what I would consider a polished management UI, but I'm sure that this set of commands is capable of creating polished management user interfaces.  I'm also sure that there are opportunities here for common dialogs to be defined that can be wrapped in predefined functions, making it very easy to create UI that covers 80% of the needs of most administrators.  With that in mind, I suggest two things to help this get more traction:

1. Provide examples showing richer, polished windows that are generated using this module.

2. Define template functions that cover 80% of the use cases for which an administrator would want to create their own UI so that they can simply call those functions and not worry about creating user interfaces themselves.

Kirk out.

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:14 PM

I would love to see something like templates that wrap up common use cases. A particular example I have in mind is a multi-select listbox so you can dump a list to the screen and allow the user to multi-select items to run a command against. I've been kicking around some ideas for simple UI front ends but always get hung up on my lack of WPF knowledge, better examples and templates would go a long way towards wider adoption, IMO.

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:48 AM

More examples and a bit of documentation would help a lot. It would be especially valuable to know which elements of WPK or PowerBoots we have to unlearn. 

Developer
Jun 8, 2011 at 4:11 PM

This is great. Any examples we can target initially that would help you ramp up?

-- Doug

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I, for one, would rather not discuss unlearning elements -- we're still working on bringing back many of the pieces from previous releases, and we're trying to get to as much backwards compatibility as possible.

We want to have bugs filed against breaking changes.

I mean, we may choose not to fix certain incompatibilities, but we want to make those breaks intentionally -- with the goal of getting the best functionality and syntax -- not accidentally because we forgot something or overlooked a feature of each-other's module ;-)

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM

But I suppose you refer primarily to incompatibilities against published releases, not against prerelease source code, etc ?

-- Bernd

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Well, I'd include that last unpublished PowerBoots version that I've been encouraging people to use for months but not released to avoid stepping on the ShowUI toes.